Share this page
5 steps for choosing best YouTube tags
- 1. Use YouTube tags extractor tool to get a rough list of keywords ideas from popular videos.
- 2. Go through the list and remove irrelevant tags.
- 3. Use YouTube Tags Generator to generate more keywords from your video title.
- 4. Add your target keyword as the first tag.
- 5. Add your brand keywords, including common variations and alternative spelling.
How to choose best YouTube tags for your video?
Tags are descriptive keywords that help viewers find your videos on YouTube. When it comes to choosing tags for your video, YouTube recommends to use the words and phrases that make the most sense for your video.
That sounds great but isn’t very helpful.
YouTube experts agree that the easiest way to find the best tags is to check what keywords are used by the top-ranking videos in your niche. This will give you some good ideas as to what tags should work for your video.
However, YouTube now hides the tags, so unless you have access to the account you won’t be able to see the tags attached to somebody else’s video without a tool.
There are tools like vidIQ or TubeBuddy but they are not free, so we created a simple (and free) YouTube tag finder tool for you to quickly extract the tags from any public video on YouTube.
You can simply copy and paste the tags to your video or you can edit the tags to include some specific keywords.
3 suggestions to choose best YouTube tags
Here are 3 simple suggestions to help you choose the best tags for any YouTube video:
1. Start with your brand or channel keyword. If people tend to misspell your brand name, make sure you add all versions.
2. Add common and relevant tags from a couple of popular videos that directly compete with your video. Don’t add somebody else’s brand keywords, that’s just not cool.
3. Use our free YouTube tags generator for more keyword ideas.
We hope this helps!
Learn how to optimize YouTube video tags and get better ranking for your videos in our ultimate YouTube tags guide.
Want us to add more features to our free YouTube tags extractor tool? Just post your ideas in the comments below.
December 2022: Captcha is added due to a high increase in automated bot calls. Sorry about the inconvenience.
November 2022: Added support for YouTube shorts.
July 2021: Video title bug fix.
January 2021: Minor bug fixes.
May 2020: You can now easily remove non-relevant tags before copying the results to YouTube. Simply click on any unwanted tags to remove it from the list.
April 2020: Initial version.