Many brands advertise on TikTok to gain exposure, especially among younger audiences.
In this post, we will look into why brands are so eager now to advertise on TikTok, the most common elements of a great TikTok ad, and how to upload a completed ad (with music) to TikTok without using a phone.
Why brands advertise on TikTok?
TikTok advertising isn’t cheap, so many brands and entrepreneurs are asking whether it’s worth it.
Here 3 main reasons big brands advertise on TikTok:
1. According to Datareportal, TikTok is one of the world’s top 10 most used social networks. TikTok is the most downloaded app this year so far and is being touted as the future’s biggest social network.
2. Influences on TikTok are unique to the platform (with many having more followers than top celebrities on other networks), which presents great opportunities for brand partnerships and influencer marketing.
3. Offers explosive viral exposure opportunities for brands capable of creating engaging content with subtle product placement and soft selling. Remember, people use TikTok for entertainment (as opposed to connecting and socializing with friends), so entertain them!
Free infographic: Why brands advertise on TikTok
What makes a great TikTok ad?
Here are a couple of recent ads by advertisement heavyweights: Apple and Facebook.
If you watch more ads you will start noticing certain similarities. We’ve looked at great deal of different ads and here are our 3 quick tips for making a great TikTok ad:
TikTok Ad Tip 1: Keep it short
TikTok is a short video platform. Most successful TikTok ads are under 15 seconds, some are as short as 5 or 6 sec.
TikTok Ad Tip 2: Make it fun
People flock to TikTok for entertainment, so don’t bore them with dull content. If you need to focus on information (a sale, promotion, and so on), try to boot the mood with music.
TikTok Ad Tip 3: Use modern music
Don’t underestimate the power of the music. Use modern and engaging soundtrack. TikTok is dominated by kids and young adults who will be turned away by a boring soundtrack or music that sounds dated.
Try to match your soundtrack to the length of the video. While you can always cut a short snippet from a longer song, a natural intro and outro would work the best.
Look at the Apple music commercial above. The content is hardly entertaining, yet the music makes up for missing entertainment.
Free infographic: 3 tips to make tiktok ads that people want to share
Thinking about advertising on TikTok? You need to know that..
TikTok has implemented steep restrictions to limit what music the brands can use in their videos.
In the past, all TikTok users could create content with almost no limitations on the music they could incorporate into their videos, including popular commercial music.
However, under the new rules, the verified TikTok accounts will only have access to a collection of royalty free music licensed by TikTok for commercial use.
This collection may or may not fit your brand or the creative direction of your video. And you definitely don’t want to share the same music with another ad on the platform.
Good news! You still can upload videos with the music already incorporated (as opposed to creating the video within the app). However, keep in mind that TikTok will require you to demonstrate the appropriate license for any music you use commercially.
Need modern music for TikTok ads?
We’ve looked up a couple of short soundtracks from our own collection of modern royalty free music similar to that of big brands’ TikTok ads. You can license any of these tracks (and thousands) more and instantly use it in your advertising campaign.
All our music comes with a downloadable PDF licensing certificate that grants you commercial advertisement rights for TikTok, as well as other social media platforms.
Listen to ore music like this: Best Music For TikTok Ads (Playlist)
How to upload complete video ad (with your own music) to TikTok
Many people ask how to add a song to TikTok or how to use your own music in a TikTok video.
TikTok started as mobile only app but now includes support for uploading videos via browser on any device. You are not anymore limited to your phone as the only option to create content for TikTok.
This is especially good news if you accustomed to editing videos on a powerful workstation, as this makes for a much more convenient workflow by cutting the middle man – your mobile device.
Here are the basic steps you need to take to upload videos to TikTok via browser:
1. Go to TikTok’s website.
2. In the top right corner, click the upload icon. It looks like a cloud with an arrow inside.
3. You will be prompted to login to your account. Complete the verification step if required.
4. Select the video to upload. TikTok’s uploader accepts MP4 or WebM video formats.
5. Enter you video caption, cover and settings, like who can watch the video and whether the comments are allowed.
6. Click upload.
We hope these tips will help you create a successful TikTok ad!
Have a question or comment?
Agree? Disagree? Have something to add from your experience? Post a comment